M&S represents current and former Walmart workers who have experienced pregnancy discrimination and who claim that Walmart’s pregnancy accommodation policies violate civil rights laws.
In May 2017, a federal complaint was filed in the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Illinois on behalf of pregnant workers who requested workplace accommodations in 2013-2014. The case is focused on Walmart’s nationwide discriminatory policy in 2013-2014 that treated pregnant workers differently than other similarly situated employees. It also addresses pregnancy discrimination against workers in Illinois in 2013-2014.
M&S also represents pregnant workers who experienced discrimination at Walmart under more recent versions of Walmart’s accommodation policy. Three women have filed charges of discrimination with the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC).
The National Women’s Law Center and A Better Balance are co-counsel with M&S in this matter.
- New York Times, “Rampant Pregnancy Discrimination in American’s Top Companies”, June 15, 2018.
- Bloomberg Law, “Walmart Can’t Shake Pregnant Workers’ Nationwide Bias Claims“, March 30, 2018.
- CNN, “Fired for being pregnant: Another kind of discrimination women face at work,” February 1, 2018.
- The Atlanta-Journal Constitution, “Griffin woman files complaint against Walmart for anti-pregnancy bias” December 2017.
- Reuters, “Wal-Mart faces another pregnancy bias claim at EEOC” December 5, 2017.
- Legal Reader, “Walmart Treats Pregnant Women as ‘Second Class Citizens” May 22, 2017.
- ThinkProgress, “Workers say Walmart is still punishing pregnant employees” May 18, 2017.
- MIC, “A class-action lawsuit says Walmart discriminated against pregnant employees” May 16, 2017.
- Law 360, “Wal-Mart Discriminated Against Pregnant Workers, Suit Says” May 15, 2017.
- Reuters, “Workers say Wal-Mart discriminated against thousands of pregnant women,” May 15, 2017.
- ThinkProgress , “Pregnant Walmart Worker Alleges Discrimination and Unfair Firing“, September 25, 2014.
- Jezebel, “Walmart Fires Worker for Being Pregnant”, August 4, 2014.
- ThinkProgress, “Pregnant Worker: This is How Walmart Treated Me”, August 4, 2014.
Contact our Civil Rights and Whistleblower Attorneys at the Law Office of Mehri & Skalet PLLC in D.C. Call for help today!