Mehri & Skalet worked with the AARP Litigation Foundation to secure a win on behalf of elderly reverse mortgage-holders. In Bennett, et al v. Shaun Donovan, Secretary, HUD, the US District Court for the District of Columbia ruled that HUD violated federal law by failing to protect the surviving spouses of reverse mortgage-holders. The case generated coverage including the following:
- Martha C. White, Widow’s Reverse Mortgage ‘Nightmare’ Underscores Lifeline’s Risks. NBC News, July 2, 2015.
- Bonnie Sinnock, National Mortgage News: HUD Reverses Course on Nonborrowing Spouse Foreclosures, National Mortgage News, May 1, 2015.
- Juliette Fairley, New Reverse Mortgage Policy Leaves Widows and Widowers Homeless, Mainstreet, April 23, 2015.
- Trey Garrison, Will grandma get run over by HUD’s reverse mortgage policy?, Housing Wire, March 12, 2015.
- Bonnie Sinnock, Reverse Mortgage Relief Costly for Industry, Dubious for Consumer, National Mortgage News, February 3, 2015.
- Bonnie Sinnock, HECM Non-Borrowing Spouses Renew Class Certification Attempts, American Banker, November 17, 2014.
- Michelle Singletary, Reverse mortgages must be understood to avoid regrets, Washington Post, September 23, 2014.
- Marilyn Lewis, New Reverse Mortgage Rules Protect Widow(er)s from Eviction. Money Talks News, July 14, 2014.
- Elizabeth Ecker, Surviving Spouses File Reverse Mortgage Lawsuit Against HUD. Reverse Mortgage Daily, March 2, 2014.
- Tara Bahrampour, Surviving spouses sue HUD over reverse mortgage rules that leave them in the cold. Washington Post, February 27, 2014.
- Andrew Zajac, Reverse-Mortgage Rule on Surviving Spouse Tossed by Judge. Bloomberg, October 1, 2013.
- Kat Greene, Spouse Repayment Of Reverse Mortgages Nixed By Judge. Law360, October 1, 2013.
- Nick Timiraos, Federal Reverse-Mortgage Program Takes a Hit in Ruling. Wall Street Journal, October 1, 2013.
Contact our Civil Rights and Whistleblower Attorneys at the Law Office of Mehri & Skalet PLLC in D.C. Call for help today!